Analysts at Lodging Econometrics recently reported the five U.S. markets with the largest hotel construction pipelines by project count.
- New York — With 169 projects/29,641 rooms, New York has the largest hotel construction pipeline by projects in the country. The city also has the second highest census growth rate—50 projects/8,437 rooms plan to open by the end of the year, a 7.3 percent growth rate.
- Dallas has the second highest number of projects in its hotel construction pipeline with 159 projects/19,149 rooms.
- Houston comes in third with 148 projects/16,158 rooms in its hotel construction pipeline.
- Nashville has 119 projects/15,992 rooms in its hotel construction pipeline. The city is also the top market in the United States by census growth rate for 2018—it is expected to grow by 8.8 percent if its anticipated openings (27 projects/3,703 rooms) occur by the end of the year.
- Los Angeles makes the top five U.S. markets for largest hotel construction pipelines with 115 projects/17,155 rooms.
Seattle has the third highest census growth rate for 2018, with 6.3 percent growth if the anticipated 20 projects/2,890 rooms in its pipeline open before the year ends.