Survey Reveals Global Vacation Budgets on the Rise
PARSIPPANY, N.J.—Travelers around the globe are rising above recent economic uncertainty by not only vacationing this summer, but increasing their allotted budget to do so—this according to a second round of survey findings released by Wyndham Hotel Group, the world’s largest hotel company with over 7,150 hotels. READER COMMENTS
Commissioned to better understand the vacation spending habits of Wyndham Hotel Group’s global guests, the survey polled just over 5,600 adults in key cities throughout the U.S., Brazil, Canada, China, and the U.K.
U.S. VS. INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS
• The majority (70 percent) of travelers worldwide intend to spend the same amount or more on vacation this year as they did last year, with 35 percent opting to spend more. Of those who will spend more, two thirds (66 percent) of Chinese travelers and more than half (52 percent) of U.S. travelers intend to use that money to take a longer vacation.
• Excluding the cost of accommodations, U.S. travelers (37 percent)—along with those in Canada (36 percent) and China (42 percent)—plan to spend the bulk of this year’s vacation budget on entertainment and excursions. Meanwhile, U.K. travelers (37 percent) put dining out at the top of their list and Brazilian travelers (40 percent) put shopping at the top of their list.
• When asked what hotel extras they would be most willing to pay more for while on vacation, U.S. travelers ranked a hotel in a better location as their top choice (35 percent), followed by a great view (30 percent) and access to spa facilities (30 percent). Comparatively, travelers in Brazil ranked great customer service (40 percent) and breakfast (40 percent) highest, while Chinese travelers made spa facilities (45 percent) their top choice.
• Of those travelers who are looking to cut back on their spending, less than a quarter (24 percent) said they would give up vacationing to do so, with the vast majority opting instead to pass up activities like dining out or giving up a night out/drinks with family or friends. U.S. travelers in particular put great emphasis on the importance of vacationing, placing it last on their list of items they’d be willing to forgo.
COMMONALITIES AMONGST ALL TRAVELERS
• A third of all travelers (34 percent) belong to a hotel loyalty program. Of those who do, 62 percent indicate that loyalty program membership influences their hotel choice. Loyalty program membership is highest in China with half (50 percent) of travelers belonging to at least one program, followed closely by travelers in the U.S. (40 percent). Membership is lowest in the U.K. at 20 percent.
• When it comes to booking a hotel, close to half (45 percent) of travelers will opt for midscale accommodations over any other. Of those who travel once or less a year, over a quarter (28 percent) will opt for a budget or economy offering. Meanwhile, of those who travel four times a year or more, over a third (39 percent) prefer upscale accommodations.
• Asked what types of vacations they would most likely save up for and aspire to take, a visit to a major theme park ranked highest with 43 percent of all travelers making it their top choice. Coming in a close second and third where shopping (40 percent) and adventure-themed trips (37 percent). Of the least interest were trips centered around mountain climbing and skiing.
Saturday, March 16, 2013 by ciprofloxacin 500mg
I truly appreciate this blog post. Want more.
Saturday, March 16, 2013 by generic viagra without a prescription
Enjoyed every bit of your blog.Really looking forward to read more.
Saturday, March 16, 2013 by buy generic cialis
Really informative blog.Really thank you! Really Cool.
Saturday, March 16, 2013 by no prescription
Thanks a lot for the blog.Much thanks again. Really Cool.
Friday, March 15, 2013 by buy viagra online
Thank you ever so for you article post.Thanks Again. Great.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 by buy generic cialis
I am so grateful for your post.Really thank you! Great.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 by cheap generic stendra online
A big thank you for your article post.Really looking forward to read more. Will read on...
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 by buy cheap stendra
Looking forward to reading more. Great blog.Thanks Again. Want more.
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 by buy viagra online
Muchos Gracias for your blog post. Will read on...
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 by buy viagra 100mg
Thanks for sharing, this is a fantastic blog article.Really looking forward to read more. Will read on...